2023-2024 call for applications
The Undergraduate Research in Science & Technology Endowment, funded by generous donors and alumni, supports undergraduate research projects in fields related to science and technology for students from any major at UC Santa Cruz.
General funds: Each awardee will receive an amount of $4,500 to go towards tuition, living expenses, or research related costs at the students’ discretion.
- Please note: while this is intended as a summer research award, students may defer their projects until fall quarter if desired. If you receive a summer award and are not enrolled in summer classes, the amount of $4000 will be paid to you through direct-pay. If you defer to fall quarter or are enrolled in summer classes, this amount will instead be applied to your student account, which may impact financial aid. Please discuss specific questions regarding this with the financial aid office directly.
Additional Research funds: $1500 in additional funds may be requested to cover costs associated with conducting research or presenting research results, such as lab fees, supplies, equipment expenses, travel associated with fieldwork, and costs associated with presenting research at conferences.; This budget should be created in consultation with your faculty sponsor, and if granted, will be deposited into the faculty sponsor’s research account. These additional funds must be used or returned within one year of being dispersed.
Awards will be announced per the schedule below, with actual funding provided in the quarter when you begin the project, as confirmed by your faculty advisor.
- Any undergraduate from any department who is registered and enrolled at UC Santa Cruz, in good academic standing, and will not graduate before the project is completed can apply
- You must propose a research project relating to science or technology
- You must have a faculty mentor for your research project
If you have questions, please contact the awards manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please find complete application instructions below.
**All award recipients will be required to provide a handwritten or typed thank-you note and complete a questionnaire for donor stewardship purposes and may be asked to participate in other recognition events. If for any reason you would be unable to participate in the recognition activities outlined above, we will work with you on an alternative.
For projects starting in summer or fall of 2024.
- Student applications are due by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 15.
- Faculty recommendation forms are due by 5 p.m. on Monday, April 1.
- Awards will be announced the week of April 29.
Selection process: The Physical and Biological Sciences Undergraduate Award Committee, composed of faculty in the Sciences at UC Santa Cruz, will review the application materials, rank each proposal, and select recipients.
Ana Paula Kitos Vasoncelos
Johanna Leslie King
Ana Paula Kitos Vasoncelos
How to apply
Applications open November 1. Complete the application form by the stated deadline above. The application should be completed by the undergraduate and graduate students. Upon completion of the application, a faculty recommendation form will be sent to your faculty mentor. Read the deadlines above carefully.