The Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation was established by Congress in 1986 to serve as a living memorial to honor the lifetime work of Senator Barry Goldwater, who served his country for 56 years as a soldier and statesman, including 30 years in the U.S. Senate. The Goldwater Scholarship Program, one of the oldest and most prestigious national scholarships in the natural sciences, engineering, and mathematics in the United States, seeks to identify and support college sophomores and juniors who show exceptional promise of becoming this Nation’s next generation of research leaders in these fields. Complete details can be found on the Barry Goldwater website: https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/.
How to apply
- Carefully read and review all of the required application information and materials.
- Complete a Student Profile and Pre-Application.
- Contact the Goldwater Scholarship Campus Representative (CR) as early as possible to inform the CR of your interest in applying. Carefully follow your CR’s instructions regarding the campus application process. You can contact the current UCSC CR, Scott Stalnaker, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (831) 459-2931.
- Know and stay on top of all deadlines (including those set internally by our campus and those established by the Goldwater program).
- Complete the Online Goldwater Application.
- The online application has several components, including: 1) online questionnaire, 2) research essay, 3) three letters of recommendation, 4) transcript(s), and 5) for a Permanent Resident, a copy of your Permanent Resident Card.
- Make certain the information provided is accurate and reported in a way that is asked for in the application.
- Proofread, reflect, revise, and again proofread, reflect, revise-all application materials! Enlist others to review the application for science, grammar, format, etc.
Nomination: The names and complete set of application materials for students selected as an institution’s Goldwater nominees must be uploaded to the Goldwater nomination site by the CR on or before the application deadline, the last Friday in January at 5:00 p.m. Central Time. Typically, CRs have an earlier final campus deadline by which they must have the nominees’ final materials. Check with your CR. (Friday, January 7th, 2022)